As soon as I read the prompt for this week’s blog I was re-traumatized by the disaster that was my first digital project. A few years ago, one of my colleagues presented an amazing assignment she created on Google+ and how she had her students create posts instead of traditional papers. Sounds easy enough, right???
I attempted to recreate this assignment and failed, miserably. For my privilege class, I has students post for different topics over the course of the semester, all 15 weeks. I gave them about 12 topics, let them choose 8 topics to post about, and let them run free. What this turned into was a grading nightmare, tons and tons of email notifications, and me still receiving emails from these students about posts that have nothing to do with this class.
I guess I can say I leaped before testing the waters. I’m in a weird generation (read, anti-millennial!!!) where I grew up without technology but began relying on it heavily in college. BUT, I am not up to speed. While Google+ seemed easy enough to tackle, I didn’t seek out help. I should have met with IT and really thought this process through.
Moving forward, I have taken what I have learned so far from the DIGPINS experience and am once again making an attempt to incorporate digital projects into my classes. Thanks to Autumn, I am connected to IT and will be getting their help with this process and not doing this solo. While I am still traumatized by my first experience, I’m confident that Taylor will teach me what I need to know and this second go-round will be a success!!